The objective of this program was to elevate sponsorship activation and increase awareness of Corona Extra’s Texas Longhorns partnership during the 19-20 basketball season through a culturally relevant and tech-forward brand experience.
This innovation program was run in the Austin market from January-March 2020, supported through a variety of creative tactics and achieved breakthrough results.
- In-store promotion that allowed 12 consumers to win a pair of Corona x Texas Longhorn shoes designed by custom shoe designer, Jake Danklefs.
- Program specific POS/promotional tools activated at key retail outlets like Walmart, HEB, and Fiesta
- Augmented Reality experience that allowed fans to explore the iconic Corona beach and enter sweeps
- Custom shoe box with interactive desktop basketball game integration.
- PR unboxing video campaign that engaged sneaker culture and sport influencers with an amazing “Unboxing” opportunity and a pair of the shoes
- In-arena gameday activation and partner media support
Corona x Texas Longhorns HULI Shoe
- HULI Shoe took a more Texas Longhorns-inspired approach. The shoe was designed by San Antonio-based custom shoe designer, Jake Danklefs. The base shoe is a Nike Air Max 1 in premium white leather. The shoe features the best of both iconic brands, Corona and Texas Longhorns.
Custom Corona x Texas Longhorns Shoebox
- As “Unboxing Videos” are very prevalent in the shoe culture world, a highly designed shoebox was developed. This box replicated the look of a Corona case of beer and included a Texas Longhorns touch on the exterior. Upon opening the box, the sides collapsed to reveal the custom shoes and the Corona HULI beach basketball court. The box then converted into a mini “pop-a-shot” basketball hoop for some fun desktop hoops.
Augmented Reality with Sweeps Entry
- Corona worked with Groove Jones to develop a Corona Beach web AR environment that featured the iconic Corona beach, customshoe box, and shoes. A QR code, used at retail, helped transport consumers to the beach where they could enter the sweeps via a Scan/Find/Win approach. They scanned the QR code, where they were able to explore the iconic Corona Beach. As they moved through the area, they had to find the Corona shoebox. Upon clicking the box, the shoe would pop up out of the box. The consumer was then able to rotate the shoe for a closer look and then click a button to be able to enter to win.
- PR campaign targeted earned and paid media and social coverage via key sports business and shoe culture innovators on a national basis. The Corona Longhorns Shoes and Shoebox were sent out to sites like Business Insider, influencers like Darren Rovell (The Outdoor Network), Tony Mui (Complex Media), and Seth Fowler (@RealSethFowler). Additionally, outlets like @KicksOnFire, @TheCultureCreators, @FlipBoard, @BallerStatus, @TheScore, and @Respect covered the shoe and shoebox experience.
Off & On-Premise POS
- All key POS and promotional tools with the promotional message and QR codes supported at key outlets like Walmart, HEB, Fiesta, and on-premise accounts throughout Austin.
Video for Corona and Texas Longhorns “Horns Up Limes In” (HULI) Custom Sneaker
- Corona Extra sales UP +14.1% from January-March in Austin
- Corona Premier sales UP +24.5% from January-March in Austin
- 85,141,742 Total Impressions via Media and Social (US ONLY)
- 108MM global in total via Business Insider pick-up
- 32 Media and Social Placements - Secured Business Insider, Complex, The Culture Creators, Yahoo Sports, Kicks on Fire, RESPECT, The Score, Flipboard, Baller Status, and others