Consumers are searching for brands and role models to show them that they can be successful and still make time for enjoyment. Serena Williams embodies "it's only worth it, if you enjoy it" better than almost any athlete. As a brand that lives by this ethos, this campaign and specialty pack were aimed to demonstrate to consumers that these role models do exist, while also toasting Serena Williams iconic career.
In honor of her announcing her retirement, the brand created a film and special 24-pack highlighting both her intensity and her joy for a campaign that became a massive earned media splash.
Anticipating that Serena's retirement, ULTRA briefed Serena's retirement in early 2022 and this concept ready to go at a moment's notice, when Serena announced she would retire after the U.S. Open, we jumped into action to complete both a film and a special pack.
This idea for the overall campaign and special packaging was meant to not only toast Serena Williams illustrious career, but also show that athletes who do what they enjoy off the court, have success on the court. The film showcases the two sides of Serena – the intensity and the joy and how they balance to create success. The pack highlighted the 23 majors in her career and a 24th to the joy she's had off the court. We intentionally selected photography that showed both joy and intensity to display balance.
The film aired ahead of her first U.S. Open Match and the packs were produced in record timing for ABI. Within 2 weeks of concepting them, we had them produced and ready for distribution the moment Serena played her final match at the U.S. Open.
In the end, the Serena pack was an earned media success and one of ULTRA's most-shared social posts of 2022. Since the pack was not for sale, there is no sales data to report. Top results include:
- Significant increases in both brand affinity (+108%) and purchase intent (+31%) in 2022
- Consistent volume growth in every region during the time this campaign was in market.
- Nearly 200 press stories in major national news outlets like USA Today, FOX News and CNN
- 427 Million PR impressions making it one ULTRA's top three PR campaigns of 2022
- 22K social mentions in 24 hours upon the pack launch
- 52.3 Earned impressions
- ULTRA's most shared and interacted with tweet of 2022
- ULTRA's most commented on Instagram post of 2022
Fill out the form below and we'll work on connecting you to the entry creator!