A longstanding leader in the beauty industry, Mary Kay is known for its trusted beauty products, skincare, and empowering opportunities for women of all ages. Mary Kay continues to offer innovative products with proven results, including the new Mary Kay Clear Proof® Deep-Cleansing Charcoal Mask.
To amplify the Charcoal Mask launch (May 16, 2017) on social and sustain excitement around this innovative skincare product, the official Mary Kay US Brand channels developed a cross-platform social media campaign tailored to Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultants (IBCs) and beauty consumers.
To reach new beauty consumers on social, increase brand + product awareness, and generate excitement around the product and Mary Kay experience, Mary Kay and Fullscreen developed creative social media content for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest, and engaged in real-time with fans to fuel positive conversation around the product launch.
This social campaign generated fan excitement, results, and led to the milestone and celebration of over one million Charcoal Mask units sold. Overall, Mary Kay and Fullscreen focused the approach on generating brand and product awareness and fueling enthusiasm around this new deep-cleansing mask.
With a complex opportunity to both activate Independent Beauty Consultants and excite beauty consumers, Mary Kay and Fullscreen developed a creative strategy and activated fans through strategic copy, custom creative, real-time engagement and targeted media.
To differentiate this product from other beauty masks, Mary Kay and Fullscreen developed a creative strategy anchored in the product benefits. Original production for Charcoal Mask photography tied to product elements like activating charcoal and relevant seasonal content inspired beauty consultants and fans to engage with the visual-first content and talk about the product and its effectiveness. Fullscreen created custom content for each of Mary Kay's key social channels, leaning into beauty trends of how to content in new ways.
To further activate fans on social, the Mary Kay brand page engaged with fans joining the conversation in real-time. From answering product questions to acknowledging user generated content, personal acknowledgement and celebration helped fuel awareness and excitement across all channels.
Once one million masks were sold, Mary Kay's brand pages celebrated this milestone by creating unique content for Independent Beauty Consultants to share on their personal accounts and shared a real-time Instagram Story thanking fans for embracing the new charcoal mask.
The strategic paid media campaign allowed Mary Kay to reach new fans and activate existing customers and Independent Beauty Consultants.
Campaign & Media Strategy:
- Activating Independent Beauty Consultants and fans to share and engage with charcoal mask content drove conversation and generated excitement for the product and its benefits as well as the Mary Kay brand.
- Targeted paid media across Facebook and Instagram led to reaching specific audiences in fresh, relevant new ways with a variety of paid media formats.
- Original Production and custom social content made the brand and product stand out to beauty fans on social.
- Celebrating the "1 Million Masks Sold" landmark empowered Independent Beauty Consultants to share their own posts on social media, celebrate with one another, and ultimately and drove interest in product sales.
With custom social media content, strategic media campaign and real-time fan engagement, the Mary Kay Charcoal Mask campaign generated enormous results and delivered on the objectives of increasing brand awareness, reaching new customers and driving excitement and interest in the new Charcoal Mask product.
The Charcoal Mask campaign drove significant results for Mary Kay across organic and paid media metrics, exceeding a number of benchmarks. In total the campaign resulted in:
- Ad Recall Lift Rate of 11.54%, 92% higher than the beauty industry benchmark of 6-8%
- 41.8M total impressions, 5.9M paid reach, and 2.7M organic reach from all content shared
- Despite a brand awareness paid media objective, the campaign resulted in 63.3k click-throughs from social to Mary Kay's website, the most link clicks achieved across all brand awareness campaigns in 2017
- 8.1M impressions, 2.7M reach, and 207k engagements from 40 organic page posts across Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Average organic Facebook reach for Charcoal Mask posts exceeded monthly average results by +18%
- Average Facebook engagements from Charcoal Mask posts exceeded monthly average results by +25%
- Total campaign Facebook page and post reach of content set a YTD record high for 2017 and exceeded the highest point of reach from all of 2016
- Engagement on Social Posts: Throughout the campaign, fans regrammed, retweeted, and shared the landmark posts.
- User Generated Content: Fans posted selfies using the mask, using this as a platform to discuss more benefits of the mask.
Fill out the form below and we'll work on connecting you to the entry creator!