The MTV EMA is the premiere award show for global music – engaging fans from across the world, across genres and across cultures. The MTV EMA brings music fans a unique, multi-platform experience across MTV’s global network in nearly 150 countries and 319 million homes around the world.
The 2022 MTV EMAs in Düsseldorf, Germany was a huge party where we celebrated the best of the best of international music. This year’s digital and social campaign really brought the magic!
The primary goal of the campaign was to drive views and engagements across social platforms by offering a curated experience for our global audience. We distributed content through our regional channels that followers all over the world would want to watch and share.
The digital campaign at the 2022 MTV EMA was focused on engaging global music fans on digital platforms and reaching them with digital video as much as possible in the lead up to, during, and immediately after the show. To ensure a truly global campaign, we made sure to build localization and translation into the workflows for content on social platforms & the EMA websites, making content specifically for 19 regions and 12 languages. This process ensured that fans of the local MTV social pages received exclusive EMA content that was catered specifically for them.
- Lead up:
- Our emphasis on localized content was evident when we kicked off the night honouring global artists from 24 countries in our Best Local Acts show which was simultaneously streamed on multiple regional Facebook accounts.
- We brought international influencers to Düsseldorf with a worldwide reach of 141 million fans tapping into their global fan-bases and engaging directly with them in their native language.
- We tapped into existing MTV talent like the Geordie Shore cast, to amplify the event across social media.
- Red Carpet, Main Show, “Backstage Pass”:
- We live streamed the red carpet on regional Facebooks and mtvema.com where we handed out the award for Best Metaverse Performance to BLACKPINK.
- The MTV EMA was streamed live on MTVEMA.com with digital exclusive content in the commercial breaks.
- We streamed our all-access behind-the-scenes exclusive digital show, “Backstage Pass” live on Facebook and YouTube. Our host got up close and personal with the main show talent as soon as they walked off stage.
- Bebe Rexha’s dancers taught us their routine backstage for our Flagship TikTok channel.
- Curated video packages were localized for the regions and cross-posted to social accounts, which highlighted the best moments of the night and kept the conversation going.
- Acceptance speeches were localized in close to real-time and published internationally across platforms and accounts (TikTok, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook).
- Performances were published and crossposted on Facebook as well as posted natively on YouTube to our network of 274 million social fans.
- On Snapchat, we published a highlight show in real-time to relive the night’s biggest moments.
By using social platforms in specific ways, engaging with artists and their fans, and strategically choosing influencers who could help us achieve our goals, we were able to drive massive YoY growth across views and engagements. This was our best year for EMAs yet!
We caught fans where they were – everywhere. With specific strategies and content for every social platform we were able to engage fans in their local language no matter the platform.
Video for 2022 MTV EMA
- The Global Social Views were up 56% YoY and Global Social Engagements up 130% YoY!
- On show night our views were up +337% YoY, engagements were up +154% YoY and interactions were up +28% YoY).
- TikTok was up 98% in video views.
- Instagram was up 147% in video views.
- The show was a trending Twitter topic globally from South Africa to the Netherlands, Germany and beyond.
- The 2022 MTV EMAs was the #1 most social show across TV for the night of November 13th, including sports.
- The 2022 MTV EMAs was the #2 most social Cable awards show year-to-date, as of November 13th 2022.
- Influencers drove over 37 million views on social.
- MTV EMA 2022 generated 3,679,808 social media posts globally from press, influencers and talent.