In December 2018, Shake Shack relaunched the Shack App, in collaboration with development agency Fuzz, with a redesigned guest check out experience and a new look and feel that specifically address convenience and personalization. Released just under two years ago, the Shack App started as a way to offer our guests a more seamless Shake Shack experience by allowing them to order ahead, schedule a pickup time and cut the infamous line. Shake Shack guests immediately loved it, and the company continues to see their percentage of digital sales grow, especially at consumers' preference to order online is growing. Given this, Shake Shack decided to invest in a redesign that would optimize the overall user experience and expand their ability to personally connect with guests.
Shake Shack's main goal with redesigning the app was to mirror the best possible in-person Shack experience complete with easy ordering and endless hospitality. Using guest feedback, Shake Shack was able to transcend the in-store experience through the digital sphere. Some key features that were improved upon and launched with the app redesign:
- On demand ordering: A critical driver of convenience is speed, and one thing we heard loud and clear from our guest feedback was the desire for earlier pickup times that would allow them to skip the lines. Earlier this year, Shake Shack introduced ASAP ordering which now accounts for 70% of all orders placed through the app. They've taken this a step further, moving time slots from the beginning of the checkout flow to the end and removed the countdown timer to allow guests to browse and check out on their time.
- Reducing the amount of taps: The new version of the app is designed to better anticipate guest needs and help them through checkout flow in as few screens as possible. Shake Shack reduced the amount of taps it takes from open to checkout by roughly 50% through a series of sprint based designs and user testing.
- Order history: Shake Shack knows that a lot of Shack guests are habitual users who frequently order the same few items. Designing a simple, easy way to favorite orders was important to ensure convenience for frequent guests who want to quickly reorder.
- Personalized messaging: Shack App users are Shake Shack's most loyal guests. The app redesign lays the foundation for more personalization with the ability to strategically message based on your previous orders and where you are in the lifecycle with things like app-exclusive menu items, special offers, local offers, and so on.
- Fresh aesthetic: Using learnings from their social channels and observing what their followers were engaging with, Shake Shack rethought the visuals of the app in order to deliver a more consistent brand experience. The new version is lighter and brighter, in line with our social channels and recent in-Shack design.
Since releasing the new Shack App, Shake Shack has seen an increase in downloads, new accounts created and conversion rates. Shake Shack continues to see the app channel grow as a percentage of total sales with a higher average check than in-store orders.