The travel industry is in the midst of major disruption, and travelers are expecting more from brands than ever before. In order for Hyatt to continue to grow and stand out among the competition, we needed to show the world what Hyatt is all about and connect with our guests around the world in a way that's relevant to them: through our deep-rooted purpose of caring for people so they can be their best.
So in 2017, we set out to launch our new global platform, World of Hyatt, which is grounded in a simple idea that a little understanding goes a long way. This reflects Hyatt's purpose and reaffirms our commitment to building genuine and trusted experiences and engaging our community of loyalists in a way that is meaningful to them.
World of Hyatt is an expression of who we are. More than a campaign or a loyalty program, it's a global platform powered by our purpose – caring for people so they can be their best – and it inspires how we engage with guests, interact with colleagues and owners, and how we operate our business. Importantly, it's designed to deepen our relationship with our community beyond traditional hotel stays.
The objectives for launch were to:
- Create awareness for World of Hyatt
- Provide a distinct point of view
- Build our community of understanding
Through an unprecedented 360-degree marketing campaign – the largest in Hyatt's history – that created a dialogue around understanding through internal, external and social marketing, we introduced World of Hyatt with a TV spot on one of the world's biggest stages, the 89th Oscars® broadcast.
To do this, Hyatt tapped into the universal language connecting people all over the world: music. We collaborated with Grammy-nominated recording artist and songwriter Andra Day to reimagine "What the World Needs Now is Love," the timeless song from Hal David (lyrics) and Burt Bacharach (music composition).
The song accompanied a powerful anthem film, For A World of Understanding, that brought World of Hyatt to life and gave our audience a way to rally around Hyatt's purpose of caring for people. Created by MullenLowe, the spot was filmed earlier this year in Thailand, Morocco and Spain and explores how people from different cultures unite through simple human connections. After nearly a decade without a prime time television ad, the Oscars® was the perfect stage to premiere the spot and show the world the power of understanding.
- Shared A Glimpse Into Our World: Hyatt colleagues around the world wore Spectacles by Snap Inc. to capture their perspective and demonstrate how understanding is integral to Hyatt's culture. Their stories were woven together and shared through various channels.
- Better Understood Our Guests: Utilized a combination of advanced social listening and surveying techniques to shape what delights the modern traveler. We discovered that the understanding of people and what they value was most important, and led us to establish a brand built on relationships, community and unique experiences. To further act on this notion of understanding, we surprised and delighted guests with exceptional service that shows how we care for people.
- Built Meaningful Experiences for our Guests: In partnership with AFAR, a company founded on the notion that travel brings about understanding, we built personalized experiences to promote understanding through travel and bring the World of Hyatt community together to learn, connect and celebrate the world. One of these experiences includes an immersive once in a lifetime excursion to Tokyo. The three-day experiential itinerary will provide unparalleled access to the city in a way that will create unforgettable memories and relationships.
- Put Empathy Into Action: Collaborated with non-profits, Learning AFAR and No Barriers USA, to support students who might not otherwise have the chance to travel and give them a life-changing experience to help them better understand themselves and the world. Through World of Hyatt's support of Chicago Public Schools, students are able to participate in an immersive 4-6 month curriculum that teaches them how to overcome obstacles, live a life of promise and give back to the world, culminating in a 10-day excursion to Costa Rica. Upon return, the students have the opportunity to demonstrate leadership as they share their learnings from this transformative expedition with their school and community.
The launch of World of Hyatt sparked conversations around the power of understanding, brought awareness to cultural barriers and showed how we can break through them to stand together and unite as one.
- 929.6MM earned media impressions and 291 earned media placements
- Featured on the #1 rated national morning show Good Morning America
- Secured advances with top-tier media that posted the day of announcement
- People.com, Variety, Fast Company, AdAge, Travel + Leisure, Billboard, Paste, Skift
- Included in roundup stories from top newspapers and influential business outlets
- Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, Business Insider, Forbes, Fortune, CNBC
- Secured media placements across multiple priority media verticals
- Entertainment, Celebrity, Business, Lifestyle, Music, Tech, Travel, Ad/Marketing
- 17.7MM social media impressions and amplification from top-tier outlets including, AdAge, Travel + Leisure, Variety, Business Insider and Digiday
- 60K social mentions and 22.8K engagements
- 1,897,679 YouTube views to-date
Notable Quotes From Media:
Video for World of Hyatt Celebrates a World of Understanding
- Inclusive, heartwarming campaign" – People
- "Hyatt's new ad is about inclusion, cultural openness and the magic of travel" – FORTUNE
- "Hyatt Hotels wants to bring the world closer together" – Travel + Leisure
- "Hyatt is to launch a new global advertising campaign focusing on moments of understanding around the world" – CNBC
- "Love-driven Oscars ad" – EXTRATV.com