In the uniquely challenging time of COVID-19, Zimmer Biomet wanted people living with chronic joint pain to feel safe and confident to seek the relief they need – even during a global pandemic. That’s why Don’t Let Pain Gain on You was developed. Our goal was to gain attention of potential joint replacement patients through marketing and communications content that alleviates fears & concerns around joint replacement surgeries and educate this audience about concerns in delaying joint replacement surgeries (e.g.: safety, post-surgical care) all while driving qualified traffic to the campaign landing page (DontLetPainGain.com) with ReadyPatient, the readypatient.com, prompting users to take action (ex. consume specific content).
Our DTC campaign strategy was to educate patients on why it's important and safe to seek operative care for their joint pain by gathering national and localized data quantifying patient and caregiver perceptions of joint replacement surgery to help validate timeliness of urgency messaging. The longer people wait for joint replacement, the worse joint degeneration could become. Before too long, they may not be able to enjoy the things they love or need to do. But there's something they can do right now to begin to put the pain far behind them. And that is to overcome the uncertainty associated with joint replacement.
To motivate our audience to overcome this uncertainty, W2O executed a dynamic, multichannel educational campaign to empower joint replacement candidates to have an informed conversation with their doctor about scheduling or rescheduling their joint replacement surgery during COVID-19 and to visit DontLetPainGain.com for more information. Key strategies included:
Campaign Landing Page -DontLetPainGain.com
- Developed and launched DontLetPainGain.com, a campaign landing page that includes a suite of resources about navigating joint health and joint replacement surgery during COVID-19, as well as a physician finder tool and information about digital health technologies for telehealth and remote post-surgery care.
- Curated a series of MAT releases and educational sponsored content highlighting campaign survey results and key considerations to help reassure the safety of joint replacement candidates who are considering surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic. The sponsored content, which published on USA Today and CBS Healthwatch, as well as the MAT releases, were geo-targeted in key Zimmer Biomet markets.
- Facilitated a satellite media tour with Dr. Mark Klaassen and knee replacement patient Becky who interviewed with a series of national and local TV and radio stations about joint replacement surgery during COVID-19, highlighting Zimmer Biomet and driving readers/listeners to DontLetPainGain.com.
- Issued a multimedia news release unveiling Don’t Let Pain on You and conducted media interviews with Dr. Pickering and Zimmer Biomet spokesperson Ivan Tornos as credible storytellers to reassure joint replacement patient candidates of the benefits of moving forward with surgery during the pandemic.
- Drove additional traffic to DontLetPainGain.com by launching a combination of paid search, social and display ads. We amplified the audience reach for our sponsored articles with social posts on the Facebook and Twitter pages for USA Today and CBS in key local markets.
- Launched paid Search, Social, Display and Native ads using creative copy and imagery driving additional traffic to the DontLetPainGain.com landing page, where patients are able to access more information meant to address and alleviate concerns around joint replacement surgery (e.g., recovery, safety, surgery, financial)
- Conducted a virtual photoshoot to obtain ad images that more accurately depict the promising future for patients who decide to move forward with joint replacement surgery, using several scenarios.
- Launched a creative quiz experience on theReadyPatient.com website prompting users to begin their journey to pain relief by answering questions about why they are considering joint replacement surgery, as well as their potential fears around moving forward.
(Following are high-level success/results points to maintain client confidentiality)
- USA Today and CBS Healthwatch garnered tens of thousands of page views. Both MAT releases also yielded multi-million impressions.
- The satellite media tour resulted in a total of 27 TV/radio segments including WKNY-AM/New York and WIMS-AM/Chicago, with a multi-million audience reach
- Proactive media outreach efforts resulted in 13 original news articles that published in key news outlets including VeryWell Health, Becker’s Healthcare and MM&M, resulting in multi- million impressions.
Marketing / Social Media
- To date the campaign has garnered multi-million impressions. CTR is tracking above target, indicating our success at driving traffic to online site content and resources that patients need.
- Display and Native have been our leader in generating top-funnel awareness, accounting for the majority of all impressions.
- Paid Search has delivered the most on-site action, accounting for the majority of all conversions.
- Paid Social and Native have also seen success generating the most of our campaign’s total clicks.