For more than 35 years, 50+ experts at the Butterball Turkey Talk-Line have greeted panicked cooks with open ears and a wealth of knowledge for poultry perfection. But call volume at the Talk-Line fell flat, because younger, first-time cooks wanted their information right away, in a format that's at their fingertips. So we needed a new way to help new cooks this holiday. We needed to bring the Turkey Talk-Line into the 21st century.
We aimed to:
- Create consumable content that inspired users to engage and share
- Position Butterball as the ultimate go-to resource for all holiday cooks
So in 2016, for the first time ever, Butterball greeted a new generation of cooks in a new way. We gave cooks immediate answers to their turkey troubles on the line's newest texting capability, open for instant advice, 24/7, the week leading up to Thanksgiving.
Whether it's Grandma, Mom or your co-worker Esther, experienced cooks are the first people we turn to when faced with a turkey dilemma. So we produced videos featuring Butterball experts to demonstrate, with humor, why the Talk-Line's advice was more helpful than family, friends or artificial intelligence.
Key video elements included:
- Fast-paced content to draw the viewer in
- Easily digestible storytelling
- Relatable humor to strike a common chord
- A captivating storyline that encouraged (but didn't require) audio
- Strong calls-to-action to inspire engagement
- Platform-specific targeting
- Highlighting the Talk-Line experts' personalities, to bring to life the voices on the other side of the phone.
We posted the videos across Butterball's social channels during the week leading up to Thanksgiving. To maximize their impact, we used targeted Facebook posts in addition to posting publicly in accordance with social media best practices. This social strategy also allowed the opportunity to target cooks who were not immediately aware of Butterball resources and drove more engagement.
Video for Butterball On Demand
- Generated more than 2.1M impressions and 1M views in one week on Facebook
- Drove cooks to text the Talk-Line, resulting in more than 8K texts during the week available; more than 1K texts on Thanksgiving Day
- 30% Increase in traffic to Butterball.com's How-to videos for more helpful videos and information