Our team knew there was an issue: at today’s rate, it will take 2 planet earths to provide the resources we require by 2050. And despite our best intentions, we’re all contributing to that imbalance. Additionally, we knew today’s millennial and Gen Z consumers are looking for companies and brands to do more than simply sell them a great product. They expect companies to create brands that share their values. So, we set out to try and help, because we believe looking good and doing good should go hand in hand. And with this belief, Love Beauty and Planet and its mission to inspire small acts of love that make you and the planet a little cleaner, greener and more beautiful was born. Our approach is a holistic one, encompassing the entire product life cycle and beyond. From our ingredients, to our product packaging and social partnerships, we aim to make sustainably-minded choices – because we believe that #smallactsoflove have the power to make a huge impact on beauty and on the planet. From innovations to execution and communication we can leverage our ability to reach out to millions to do more than sell products. We can inspire, change habits and support those that share a passion for the planet like us. That has been the ground stone of our brand strategy since its birth in 2018.
At Love Beauty and Planet, we believe that #SmallActsOfLove have the power to make a huge impact on beauty and on the planet. The portfolio was designed with purpose at its heart and permeated across our masterbrand of products within hair care, skin cleansing, skin care and deodorants and subsequently its home and lifestyle extension under Love Home and Planet.
LOVE: Our products are all cleaner (0% parabens, silicones, dyes, phthalates), greener (90%+ naturally derived formulas), and cruelty free & vegan.
BEAUTY: Our products deliver key benefits and pleasurable sensorials. We believe there should be no compromise on beauty solutions to get natural/sustainable products. Our delightful fragrances are ethically sourced supporting community welfare at source of origin.
PLANET: Pushing boundaries on sustainability by reducing environmental impact while thriving towards making this planet a better place to live. Below are the achievements the last 18 months we have been around.
- Love Beauty and Planet bottles are made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic and are recyclable
- We have developed plastic-free products like shampoo, conditioner and premium body bars
- We have launched the first 100% ocean bound plastic range
- Introduced a clean-flake label technology for easier recycling at facilities
- Water: Introduced unique fast-rinse conditioner technology that enables a consumer to wash her hair in 20% less time. Introduced a showerless cleansing mist that enables body cleanse without using water. Introduced a one of its kind dry shampoo for clothes.
- Carbon emissions: We strive to be carbon conscious across the value chain
- We meticulously calculate with experts our carbon footprints, for every ton of carbon generated through our value chain, we tax ourselves $40; proceeds go towards funding initiatives that support recycling efforts and environmental changemakers.
- Our hair sprays use no GHG and are powered by air.
- Planet Partners: While we are proud of the #SmallActsOfLove we have infused into our business, we also aim to give a microphone to other organizations and individuals seeking to give back to our planet. We have partnered with various organizations including Ashoka Changemakers supporting young women who are trying to make a difference with small acts, The Recycling Partnership to help create better recycling and The Surfrider foundation – donating over $500K to their planet efforts since our launch in 2018.
- Community: Our mission is to inspire millions to join us in partaking in #SmallActsOfLove; through our brand ambassadors, partnership with T Brand Studios at the NYTimes as well as inspiring, culturally relevant and educational content available for consumers on our own channel, we now have a thriving community online proud to join this movement and sharing how they are making a difference through their efforts.
- In the first year of launch, brand achieved the financial goals it set out for. This proves that purpose can and should lead to good business.
- Since launch, we have used the equivalent of 36 million water bottles (16oz size) to create our bottles, saving 1 million pounds of waste from landfill
- With our Clean Oceans Edition line using 100% ocean bound plastic, we kept the equivalent of 5 million water bottles (16oz size) from the ocean
- Leveraged a unique business model and sophisticated data driven marketing leading to a global online community of over 115,000 followers on Instagram alone. Online Engagement rates of 6% plus (5 times the average of most stalwart brands in the industry)
- External Recognition as one of the top ‘Brands that stand for positive change’ for Gen Z together with Lush Cosmetics, Dove, Nike etc. (Dosomething.org)
- Post-exposure to our partnership content with T Brand Studios at the New York Times, 74% of consumers agreed that Love Beauty and Planet makes a positive difference in society
- 25 Beauty Awards from industry stalwarts including Allure.
- Brand continues to expand and inspire consumers across the globe: covering all top clusters (North America, Europe, Latin america, South East Asia and many more)
Raw Numbers - Social Performance
Video for Love Beauty and Planet: #smallactsoflove for the planet empowering millions to be change makers
- Over 4.1 billion earned PR impressions
- Over 133K organic social video views
- Over 388K organic social engagements
- Over 21.1 million Snapchat users reached; our Snapchat experience drove Brand Favorability and Purchase Intent nearly 4 and 5X greater than typical CPG performance