For 100 years, Planned Parenthood has empowered millions with the information, education, and services they need to improve their sexual and reproductive health.
To meet the needs of a rising generation, the organization embarked on a new strategy to deliver "Care, No Matter What" in a digital world. The result was a newly formed Digital Products Lab. At the forefront of this initiative, and speaking directly to a younger more digitally empowered generation, they introduced Spot On, a period tracker and birth control app.
Spot On aims to provide reliable, trusted, and safe birth control and period tracking in an inclusive mobile app experience. The product was created with a special focus on populations with the worst health outcomes, in particular those experiencing the highest rates of unintended pregnancy, which typically includes 18-24 women, and often those who are trying birth control for the first time or switching between methods.
Wonder Integrated Group’s mission was to help PPFA develop and execute an integrated marketing campaign that would break through a crowded app marketplace and drive over one million people with periods to download the Spot On app within the first year in market.
Knowing our target demo is harder to reach, we had to devise a true multi-channel, multi-strategy approach to the media that we could optimize in real-time across our paid, owned and earned channels.
Through consumer research and target media discovery, we identified 15+ media channels that we felt would help us reach and connect with our audience in a meaningful way. This included a myriad of tactics;
1) Top down tactics involving culturally relevant social media influencers
2) Mass-awareness publisher partnerships with Refinery 29 and Teen Vogue to produce custom editorial content ("Period Diaries") and unique cross-promotions.
3) Programmatic media campaigns in paid social channels such as Instagram and Facebook
4) Partnership with Planned Parenthood’s Generation Action Network to produce a grassroots national college campus campaign, mobilizing campus influencers on social media and in person with physical distribution of promotional materials.
5) Poster and palm card placement and distribution in Planned Parenthood health centers
6) Inciting discourse around the topic of reproductive health and gender equality through partnership with the up-and-coming creative writing platform, Wattpad
7) Stealing competitive market share through keyword campaigns in the Google Play and Apple app Stores
Over the course of 1 year we carefully managed channels, tactics, creative and messaging and gleaned valuable insights, audience learnings and customer data to help refine the media mix.
Over the last 2 years, we have proudly watched this product build momentum and take the Google and iOS app marketplace by storm. To date, Spot On has nearly 1.6 million downloads in over 100 countries, has earned features in the iTunes and Google Play stores, celebrity endorsements by the likes of Rachel Bloom, and garnered PR coverage from Bustle, Teen Vogue and Cosmopolitan, among others.
In 2017, Spot On was awarded many accolades, including winner of the Fast Company Innovation by Design Awards in the App category and winner in the Communication Arts Interactive Competition.
Spot On has also been recognized by Association of Reproductive Health Professionals as a recommended birth control app for patients.
Fill out the form below and we'll work on connecting you to the entry creator!