Airbnb was founded on the idea that everyone deserves a safe place to call home—no matter where they are in the world, or what resources they have at their disposal. While we have a global vision for this, we've always felt a special responsibility towards our hometown, San Francisco. More than 1,800 students attending San Francisco public schools are homeless, which translates to 1,145 families that do not have stable housing. That's why Airbnb partnered with the San Francisco Giants in support of Hamilton Families, and the Heading Home Campaign: an important initiative aimed at ending family homelessness in San Francisco by 2020. The campaign supports an evidence-based, data-driven plan to scale up Hamilton Families' rapid re-housing program, a proven intervention that helps families quickly exit homelessness and return to permanent housing.
For every run scored by the San Francisco Giants at a home game during the 2017 season, Airbnb and the Giants are donating $1,000 to Hamilton Families, for a total donation of $300,000.
Airbnb and the San Francisco Giants worked with Hamilton Families to create a multimedia campaign, involving a:
- Crowdfunding effort. Each time the Giants scored a run, an LED ribbon flashed around the stadium with a text-to-donate call to action for fans. In addition to the LED ribbon, our campaign video with the CTA ran at each game on the jumbotron as well as on all of the stadium cell phone charging stations.
- In-park events. Airbnb hosted 6 home plate ceremonies at AT&T park, honoring Hamilton Families participants, various supporters of the Heading Home campaign from Airbnb, the San Francisco Giants, city officials, and more.
- Digital campaign. Our campaign video and CTA has run across Airbnb's social media channels, and we've done several email blasts to our San Francisco host and guest community. The San Francisco Giants have also promoted on their digital channels.
- Print campaign.
- Radio ads.
- Community Engagement: Airbnb contributed to several touch points with Hamilton Families through volunteerism, drives, Fireside chats to educate employees on the issue of homelessness & a joint carnival with Airbnb employees and clients of Hamilton Families.
Video for Heading Home with Airbnb, the San Francisco Giants & Hamilton Families
- $301k donated by Airbnb, San Francisco Giants, and the community
- 1.6M reached across Airbnb, San Francisco Giants, and Hamilton Families' social channels
- 200k video views across social channels
- 67 video runs at 41 home games