- TargetTok was launched with the ambition to reach younger audiences that are consuming content in less traditional ways.
- To our Gen Z guests, we were known as their mom's happy place or viewed as an untouchable entity.
- We set out to immerse ourselves in the feeds, dissecting micro-communities, and studying the language used, beliefs shared, and products impulsively purchased.
- More importantly, we broke traditional marketing habits to recognize a new generation that was *just* getting to know us. This meant going back to the basics to show what Target stands for and being surprisingly human.
- From breaking that fourth wall in the comments to embracing experimentation, we prioritized staying native to this platform's unique storytelling style.
EMBRACE EXPERIMENTATION + CREATOR OWNERSHIP (Tentpole Campaigns)
- TikTok influence comes from the authentic self-expression of everyday people. Therefore, we activated Hashtag Challenges that gave our audience the runway to show their creativity.
- For our #UltaBeautyatTarget Hashtag Challenge (8.8B Views) we co-created an original sound with @SnarkyMarky (originator of 'Martina, you ready?'). The sound prompted guests to show how this perfect, yet dangerous, pairing abruptly changed their routines.
- For our #TargetHalloween Hashtag Challenge (11.2B Views) we invited guests to show how a seemingly random Target haul can transform into the most original Halloween costume! Using our custom music track, guests showed contents in their Target bag before revealing their epic DIY costume at the beat drop.
- As an extension of our Holiday campaign, we minimized steps in the purchase journey by launching our TikTok Storefront and hosted a Live Shoppable Gift Guide.
- This meant items shown on-screen would appear as product tags to tap and buy, directly in the platform! Now, our guests no longer have to rely on the comments section to find product details.
BREAK THE FOURTH WALL (Comment Strategy)
MOVE AT THE PULSE OF CULTURE (Reactive Content)
- When it comes to reactive content, our strategy was to authentically connect Target to culture, based on platform trends and hashtags. This included our take on album covers, 90's nostalgia, and inspirational quotes.
- To us, the best reactive opportunities are when creators are involved in the creative process. So when Target Team Member Jaden Hamilton ignited a *mini beef* with Walmart over a misplaced cart, we quickly reached out to co-ideate a response video.
- Throughout ideation, we welcomed outlandish scenarios and creative freedom for Jaden to stay true to his style, tone, and audience.
- Co-creation did not stop there, as we maintained the two-way relationship to partner with Jaden on more trend-led reactive content.
ACKNOWLEDGE BRAND TRUTHS (Owned Content)
Since February 2021:
- Followers - Surpassed goal of 1M followers within 7 months of launch. Have grown to 1.6M today.
- Engagement Rate - 11.9% Average ER on owned content.
- Engagement - Garnered over 7M+ Likes on owned video content
- Virality - 2 Viral Hashtag Challenges garnering over 20B+ Views
- Innovation - Launch of TikTok Storefront and TikTok Shoppable Livestream
- Comment Replies - Comment replies on earned and pop culture-related TikToks averaged 50K Likes
- Original Sounds - Produced 4 original sounds
- Industry Recognition - Mentions in NYT, AdWeek, TikTok Newsroom