1 in 7 kids lived with hunger in America, pre-COVID-19. And since the devastating effects of COVID-19 hit our country, it is now 1 in 4. At Discovery Inc., we find this statistic to be unimaginable, as it’s a completely hidden and solvable crisis. We are proud to use the power of our brands and influential talent to drive lasting change. We created a movement empowering our viewers to solve childhood hunger in the U.S. with Turn Up! Fight Hunger, is our multi-year, multiplatform, social impact movement, in partnership with Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry campaign. No Kid Hungry uses an easy to understand impact metric that resonates with donors and media consumers alike: for every one-dollar raised, No Kid Hungry is able to provide up to ten meals to children living with hunger. Turn Up! Fight Hunger educates, motivates and enables viewers to make a direct impact in solving childhood hunger- through targeted fundraising, strategic advocacy and volunteering opportunities.
Turn Up! Fight Hunger is a new movement that will help provide 1 Billion meals to kids living with hunger in the U.S. over the next five years. We work with our employees, consumers, talent, channel partners, and local community advocates to create an entire change movement, with an incredible goal and mission to speak for itself.
Turn Up! Fight Hunger is not just an awareness campaign, but a program to empower consumers to take action that will have direct impact through donations, advocacy, and activism. With the expanded reach of our portfolio through acquisition of Scripps Networks (e.g. HGTV, Food Network, etc.), our audience now reaches an unparalleled 25% of all U.S. women viewers. We want to harness this power for good. Some of our strategy highlights include:
- $1M in corporate giving to No Kid Hungry
- Facilitating consumer and employee donations marketing across our US Lifestyles networks
- Mobile Donation Campaign - Anyone with a mobile device supported by US wireless carriers can text HUNGER to 707070 to support Turn Up! Fight Hunger and opt-in to its mobile campaign where subscribers receive campaign updates and additional CTAs. These text-to-donate campaigns were promoted via: in-program-messaging across the Discovery networks, PSA commercials, social media, press release & media coverage, and social posts by celebrity influencers.
- Leveraging celebrity influencers and network talent, including: Gloria Steinem, Duff Goldman, Brady Bunch cast, Valerie Bertinelli, Alex Guarnaschelli, Amanda Freitag, Anne Burrell, Geoffrey Zakarian, Jeff Mauro, Marc Murphy, Molly Yeh, Ree Drummond, Scott Conant, Sunny Anderson, Ted Allen, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Jasmine Roth, Lisa Joyner, Chris Jacobs, Martha Stewart, Jonathan Scott, Drew Scott, Guy Fieri
- Targeted advocacy including petitions, tweet, text, call your representatives, and geo-targeted efforts to encourage consumers to Get Out The Vote for childhood hunger.
- Programming – Using the power and reach of Discovery’s top shows, Turn Up is seamlessly integrated into current programming. Integrations include donations made on a winner’s behalf or talent offering a call to action to join us by donating or getting involved in their local community. Shows include: HGTV’s Rock the Block; A Very Brady Renovation; Food Network’s Thanksgiving Live; Duff vs Buddy; Tournament of Champions; Duff Takes the Cake; Extreme Home Makeover; Brother vs. Brother
- Launching first of its kind, donation incentive program in connection with its newly launched direct-to-consumer platform, Food Network Kitchen- where each purchase of a Food Network Kitchen premium annual subscription will provide up to 100 meals for kids living with hunger
In its first year, the Turn Up! Fight Hunger campaign has already been deemed a huge success by both Discovery and No Kid Hungry. Here are some of our highlights:
- Social Media Metrics – Across Discovery’s owned and operated social media accounts, Turn Up posts have garnered over 20 total million impressions since October 22nd, 2019, our official launch day. There have been over 1.3 million video views, and almost 100k engagements.
- Employee engagement/donations – Employees alone have donated over $100k, including matching campaigns. Other employee engagement efforts include a “garage sale,” where proceeds are donated to Turn Up! Fight Hunger, and volunteer activities with local partner organizations.
- Consumer Donations -- So far, Turn Up! Fight Hunger has raised over $550k from consumers. One of the most successful tools was our text-to-donate option, that consumers saw in IPMs, PSAs, and digital assets. This tool alone helped us raise over $400k.
- Kellogg Partnership -- Discovery was able to leverage ad-sales client Kellogg Company, already a sponsor of No Kid Hungry, into a new partnership with an all-new PSA campaign airing on Food Network and TLC. This not only brought new levels of awareness, but also helped as a crucial ad-sale business benefit.
Through these methods, plus Discovery's direct contributions, we have already managed to provide over 522 MILLION meals to children living with hunger in only 10 months, halway to our total goal! If this is what year one looks like, we can't wait to see what the future brings.
Video for Turn Up! Fight Hunger