After a misplaced Walmart cart mysteriously appeared in a Target parking lot, team member Jaden Hamilton posted a TikTok, challenging Walmart to respond if they ever wanted their cart to be returned. Jaden's video quickly gained traction, garnering over 32M views in a week. Walmart responded, stiching Jaden's video where they placed a Walmart vest on a Target ball, capturing it as hostage. 🔴
Our ambition was to continue the momentum, creating response videos that same week.
- We stitched Walmart's video on the same day showing a Target ball assembling various rangers (Ulta Beauty, Disney, Apple, Starbucks) for backup. This video gained over 420K views in a week.
- In true TikTok fashion, this narrative snowballed as users, team members and other brands created videos with their own outlandish scenarios. At one point, it was rumored the cart was sent as a spy. 🔍
- We partnered with Jaden himself to take the spy conspiracy even further, revealing that the Walmart cart is *actually* serving as a double agent. 👀 The message back was to be cautious, as your closest ally could also be your closest enemy.
CLAPBACKS KNOW NO BOUNDARIES
- The lite beef expanded beyond TikTok. Youtubers shared full analysis videos of the cart war, and we kindly reminded Twitter that queen Mariah is #TeamTarget.
- Jaden's original video has now garnered over 37.7M Views and 9.3M Likes
- Clapback Video #1 garnered a total of 510.2K Views and 74.2K Likes
- Clapback Video #2 garnered a total of 323.3K Likes and 54.7K LIkes
- Industry Recognition in AdWeek and TikTok Newsroom for responding to trending conversations