The Magic Tree App is the first of its kind, created for children ages 5-8 who have a mother with breast cancer. The app allows parents to talk to with their children about the diagnosis through games, videos and other educational tools. The client was looking to drive awareness and downloads in the U.S. in March 2018.
The App was developed with input from patient advocacy groups and breast cancer experts. The Client learned that parents, specifically mothers with Breast Cancer often have difficulty discussing their diagnosis with their young children. While the Magic Tree App seeks to ease that conversation and help children understand their mother's diagnosis, the client needed a way to efficiently and effectively reach this audience.
In order to efficiently and effectively reach the core audience – patients with Breast Cancer, specifically those with an MBC diagnosis, and their spouses/partners with children aged 5-8 - we collaborated with the Client to create and execute a multi-faceted social media campaign across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and breast cancer influencer blogs.
Tactics of the social media campaign were two-fold: A Consumer Blogger Campaign and an App Install Campaign.
Consumer Blogger Campaign
- We worked with four patient bloggers within the Breast Cancer community (identified using robust social data analytics insights) to develop blogs and social media posts on their personal channels
- Each blogger spoke about their personal experience of how they told their young children about their diagnosis and how the Magic Tree App could have been (or was, if their children were still in the age group) beneficial to their child understanding what Breast Cancer meant for them and their mom
- The social posts were cross promoted using the Facebook Branded Content tool in order to reach an even greater audience and to associate the blogger content with the Client name
App Install Campaign
- We created an App Install campaign across multiple social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter) to drive app downloads by our targeted audience
- The App Install campaign was an efficient way for us to not only drive targeted awareness of the app, but to offer the app to the Breast Cancer community in an easily accessible manner
While traditional metrics exceeded expectations almost completely across the board (please see supporting materials for specific metrics), the multi-pronged approach resulted in a successful campaign execution that brought the unmet need to life and offered patients an important tool to meet these needs in an accessible and cost-effective way.
- 100% of blog content presented The Magic Tree as a positive, valuable resource for parents and children
- The Magic Tree app resonated positively among all engaged bloggers who encouraged their readers to download the tool to use as a resource for their families
- Allowing bloggers to incorporate their personal perspective as mothers who have experienced breast cancer (including using original photos) resulted in thoughtful, engaging content generating a positive reaction among their audiences – including using original photos
- Leveraging the Facebook Branded Content tool and boosting posts resulted in a larger number of impressions
- App Install campaign drove additional awareness and downloads that exceeded KPIs
- Earned coverage resulted in two additional blog posts