In the digital age, the average age of exposure to porn is 11-years-old. Additionally, 87% of hardcore online porn is either verbally or physically violent towards women and overall leaves unrealistic expectations.
Psychologists, sex educators, and teachers state that today, it's never been more important for parents to talk to kids about the difference between porn and sex. Except they're not. Nobody's explaining to parents this new sex-ed reality or the impacts early exposure is having on their kids' sexual behaviors and interpersonal relationships.
So, we created the initiative, GIVE THE TALK, in order to reach people and start a dialogue that better educates parents about today's sex-ed reality.
GIVE THE TALK is a not-for-profit PSA campaign that uses porn stars to raise awareness amongst parents about porn as sex-ed. The campaign began with a 1-minute film starring porn actress Monique Alexander. Following the film, parents were provided with facts and resources to begin the dialogue.
Our primary goal with the GIVE THE TALK not-for-profit PSA video was to use our creative for good by reaching hundreds of thousands of people to drive awareness and start a dialogue around porn and sex-education for children.
With just a $500 media budget, and without millions of followers on our own, we needed other ways to get our message out at scale. Our strategy was twofold:
- Create a compelling, social-ready video compelling enough to get watched and shared on social platforms.
- Attract partners with millions of followers of their own to share on their own social platforms.
We tapped into the internal resources of the agency, including production, social strategy, web design, asset creation and PR for maximum reach.
To drive value, we also wanted to provide a resource of content at GiveTheTalk.com for those who wanted to go deeper than the video. We partnered with Amaze.org, a global initiative that provides educates parents and teens on navigating the difference between porn and real world-sex.
To kick off our campaign, we released the film on June 1st for International Children's Day and performed influencer outreach with a strong focus on Mommy Bloggers, new parents, and sex-ed therapists to enlist them in our initiative.
We also set up a war room and created a conversation to open the dialogue on Twitter. There are many conversations surrounding the issues of the awkwardness around sex-education and we tracked the dialogue. We targeted these keywords and tapped into already existing conversations to generate awareness towards our PSA through GIFs and with a CTA to seek more information at AMAZE.org.
We achieved 2.26 million total video views and thousands of engagements as a taboo conversation began across social platforms.
- Social video partnerships with Upworthy and ATTN:
- Adweek exclusive (http://bit.ly/2rJjfUV).
- Monique Alexander promoted to her hundreds of thousands of followers.
- Medium (http://bit.ly/2uS4zD9) plus promotion across Mistress social.
- ATTN: 1.9 million video views, 2.8 million impressions and over 64.3k engagements including 8.8k shares: ATTN Facebook; ATTN Instagram; ATTN Twitter
- Upworthy: 127k video views, 646k impressions, 1.8k engagements including 397 shares: Upworthy Facebook
- YouTube views: 197,500
- Facebook video views: 35k
- 5.6k website visits
- Reddit 91% upvotes, 350+ comments
The reach, video views, likes, comments, shares and subsequent visits to GiveTheTalk.com are indicators of a large-scale dialogue around sex-education because of GIVE THE TALK.
Fill out the form below and we'll work on connecting you to the entry creator!