For NBC News' election day coverage on social platforms, we had several objectives:
- Provide a service and stakes election day experience for news consumers on Facebook and provide a comprehensive election day news service to the Snapchat audience that respected them as voters (many first time) and educated consumers.
- Translate the depth of knowledge and expertise of NBCNews' traditional television coverage into short-form personal storytelling.
- Reach a new demographic of news consumer, regardless of their television viewing habits
- Efficiently give the viewing audience as much
information as possible as election day events unfolded
- Translate the depth and wealth of knowledge from
NBCNews' broadcast bench into an interactive opportunity
- Create a polished destination for real-time
results consumption that would keep audience engaged through the evening
Since our goal was to provide quick and short, yet highly-informative news in new formats (in a crowded space), we had to cut through the noise and devise a plan that would get news out in the fastest way possible.
To make sure we could be in as many platforms and places as possible, we coordinated real-time programming across multiple talent, locations, pages and broadcast methods, in a hyper-fast environment. We also organically drove consumption of this content with out any use of paid/boosting.
We worked across multiple states in the US to get perspectives from voting locations throughout the country and provided unique perspectives throughout the night's event.
- 14 segments from 14 locations across 3 Facebook pages (NBCNews, Nightly News, MSNBC)
- Anchors answered questions from the viewing audience in real-time
- Beginning at 7PMET NBCNews began continuous livestreaming of the electoral map, showcasing feed of instantaneous results. The map was broken into two 4-hour streams covering the results from first to final poll closings. NBC News was the ONLY news organization to provide a clean results service on Facebook
- Streams received 48 Million views and were shared 319,000 times. Facebook ranked the electoral map stream as the most watched Facebook Live video of the night and as the 5th best in views of all Facebook Live streams across the platform for all 2016, outranking all other television news competitors.
- Streaming live coverage of victory and concession speecheswith over 3 Million views
- NBCNews ranked 1st for Facebook engagement on election day by both NewsWhip and Crowdtangle, surpassing CNN and Fox News
Video for NBC News: Decision 2016
- NBCNews created a full day Snapchat formatted program with coverage from 9 different anchors in 9 locations across the country
- Each anchor provided their unique perspective and voice, free from the constrains of traditional broadcast style
- The viewing audience received not only analysis and perspective, but up close views of the movements of the candidates
- 7 of NBCNews videos were curated into Snapchat's curated election Live Story, more than any other news organization
- NBCNews snap videos were viewed 47 Million times.